Monday, June 8, 2015

It's a Small Small World.. Coming to a classroom near you

I can not believe it is already summer! It's literally the first day off and of course, I'm a loser.. I'm THAT teacher who is already looking forward to changing up my room and it's theme a little bit. .Now, don't freak out.. The Polka Dots are staying. It's a Lila staple. 

When I started out trying to figure out the theme of my room, I originally wanted to do a "travel/ global" theme. It was SUPER hard to do. I was instantly drawn to bright bold/hot colors and, you guessed it, polka dots... I could not wrap my head around how to merge both my loves-polka dots and travel... Plus, I had to move my room TWICE my first year, so the travel theme was thrown out the window. 

But, something dawned on me. I could merge both. I could still have the bright colors but I could add the travel theme. I could make it more of a thing... 

(Let me take you back a bit).... Almost each summer I would go to California to visit my Mom's grandmother and grandfather. We would ALWAYS go to Disneyland. I remember riding "It's a Small World" ride with my grandfather. I was only three at the time. When he past away, I continued to ride it as sort of a memory thing for me. I did not get much time to spend with him and wanted to always remember him. It's a Small World . I can't believe I forgot how bright and cheerful that ride was... VOILA!!! The infamous lightbulb goes off- Something I could easily do with my classroom. Taking on the travel/polka dots theme-- 

One of my bulletin boards will say, "Let the Adventure Begin" with cute map paper/ bunting banner and baggage tags  to display the kids work and the other bulletin board will say, "Making our small world brighter". 

Im going to tweak my "flight crew jobs" to more travel themed titles. Here's what I have so far.... 
Line Leader: Ambassador
Door Holder: Valet
Lunch Tracker: Caterer
Librarian (2): 
Paper Passer: Travel Clerk
Travel Agent:  “Welcome to McCreight’s Room" / answer phone
GPS: Tells where we are if we are not in our room. 
Technician: makes sure technology is charged.
Personal Assistant : Pilot
Electrician: makes sure lights are off
 Co-Pilot: Records assignments for those who are absent
Flight Attendant : Takes over job of any absent student
 Brag Tag Passer: Baggage Claim:
Planner Checker: Airline ticket agent. 

I'm also looking to change our clip chart to more of a travel theme as well. 

It's a work in progress, but I'm excited. Oh! I forgot. I found some adorable vintage travel posters that I'm going to print and frame to add around my desk, along with cork board for student's work. I"m SO stinking excited!!! 

I guess it's time to start working on my projects. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment