Monday, July 27, 2015

Turning your Beliefs into Actions

'Action. Action. We want Action. Act-ion.' We used to chant this cheer on the sidelines back in the day.  But I have to sit and think for a second. That was back in the day... hmm. Actually, a lot of days ago. We cheered for action in the game, why am I not cheering for action in my life today? Insert  My sweet friend Whitney from  WithLoveFromTexas.  She came up with this brilliant idea.



Let's turn our beliefs into Actions. It's what I cheered for back in the day, why not make it a present day thing? She suggested that we write down our educational beliefs. Those are the things you are most passionate about. They are the things that get you going-It's the things that make you cry when it happens, puts a smile on your face,  tense up when you see it go horribly wrong, or make your heat glow when you know its going good. So the following our my educational beliefs....
When I collaborate with my team, we try to make our lessons fun and engaging.  We are constantly updating and revamping our lessons to not only be current with the educational trends but also what is current in our classroom. I believe that students learn more and will remember your lesson when you not only connect it with something that are passionate about but also connect it to THEIR world. That's why I'm big and my team is big on Voice and Choice. It allows students to have a voice in their research and a choice on how to present it. Kids will pretend they like it when you do things for them- like printing out their work and highlighting it for them, but if you teach them how to research they are going to get so much more out of it.

This also ties in when my definition of "Fail". From day one I teach my students that Fail is an acronym.... In my classroom it means First Attempt in Learning. We may not get the concept, the lesson, or activity right the first time. That's OKAY! It's natural. But, what makes us successful students and life-long learners is that we learn from the mistakes and try again. I found this great short video called Austin's Butterfly . I showed it to the whole class. We talked about how sometimes our best work is not our first work. I show this to my class at the beginning of each year and will also show it as a refresher after a certain "break"... They seem to really have that 'a-ha!" moment.

Students are able to do this if you, the teacher, truly believe in them. By creating a safe and welcoming environment I have laid the foundation for trust and collaboration. I tell my students that I believe in them and love them every day. Now, don't get me wrong- there are days that some "tough love" comes into play, but they appreciate it. They just want to know you have limitations and boundaries but also that you believe in them and see so much more than what they can achieve.

I think this goes hand in hand with positive reinforcement in the classroom. I do not know about you, but when I was a kid and had a teacher yell at me ( because that never happen. ;) ) I turned off and shut down. I don't want that for my kiddos. I'm also not going to manipulate them either. I won't say, "Well, I just LOVE how Susie is working hard"... and then look at the trouble maker. I won't say "Wow, you colored great."... when they did not. We appreciate the truth and the kiddos do too. I give them honest feedback. " I know you got off to a rocky start, but wow! Look at what you are doing know. Doesn't it feel good? Super proud of you man".

Finally, before this turns into a novel... I believe in using what you got. I'm a bit of a funny person at heart, I like to make up raps and jingles now and again. ... And I use that in the classroom. The kids first think I'm crazy, and for the most part, they are right... But then, I catch them singing it in the hallway or on the playground. The best moment EVER was when a third grade teacher said she was teaching some of my former kids and they all go, "Miss H used to sing and rap for us. Here is one of her songs!" Lawdy, I almost fainted from my heart glowing.

My goal this year is to really turn those beliefs into actions #IamaBeliever.  I hope you join me in this challenge of turning your beliefs into actions. Even if you don't blog about it, simply write your beliefs down. Keep in a place you look often. Let it help remind you and help get you through "those" times.

Till Next Time
Keep it Colorful!!


Continue on to this lovely teacher's beliefs. Teaching Redefined

6 comments:

  1. I love the Austin's Butterfly Lesson! I plan on using it this year. This was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of life lessons instead of lesson plans! Encouraging students to take a leap of faith is a big focus for me this year - loved reading your thoughts on that : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the FAIL concept and video link. When teaching STEM and science...at times they think answers and the process are suppose to happen immediately. We have to teach that it is okay to FAIL if we figure out how to not give up! Great insight!

    Renee at The Science School Yard

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a kid, I would have loved your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I love your entry! I agree with all of it! "Fail is an acronym.... In my classroom it means First Attempt in Learning." you rock!

    ReplyDelete